Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Low Hanging Olives!

February 22, 2011: It's a strange thing to turn 30, but Mahreen did it with so much flair. It is in honour of her birthday that I come out of my usual laziness to update this blog.

After huge debates and lots of tantrums we went to a place called Olivetto which is right next to the Russian Consulate.

We seemed to scare the guy at the desk when we told him the population of his new restaurant was about to hit double figures (12 people). But they managed to pull some tables together. Olivettos had a lunch time deal which was actually pretty reasonable, Rs. 750 for a choice of soups as a starter, a main course and dessert.

I ordered the Tomato soup, Sirloin steak as the main course and dessert was the creme brulee with a shikanjbeen for drinks.

They eventually brought the soup, which was actually pretty nice, not a Knorr soup as we were expecting. Danish got a 'complimentary' soup which he was charged for later.

Then came my steak, finally a place that did not forget my order. The steak was a little too well done to the point that it was too dry, and it seemed unmarinaded. Being very hungry I ate the entire thing but was left quite disappointed due to a thorough lack of flavour.

The creme brulee came after a 10 minute wait, I'm not a sweet-ivore so I'll hold back my comments, however, my team seemed to like it a lot.

Overall, other than the company, it was a disappointing experience. The service was slow, but they did not mix up any orders. The main course was weak and the shikanjbeen was a tad bit of saving grace, but not by much. I will never willingly go back to Olivetto again, however, it avoids the blacklist out of respect for Mahreen's big day!!

Bon Apetit,

Z


Shikanjbeen


Sirloin Steak

1 comment:

  1. I feel they've got their act together to quite an extent ever since your last visit at the start of the year.

    Enticed by the raving reviews I've been hearing about the place from the facebook crowd, I tested their iftar deal recently and it went quite well. Here's the lowdown of how it went:
    http://www.restaurants-uncut.com/2011/08/olivettos-iftar-deal/

    ReplyDelete