Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Waste Basket of Pakistani Cuisine

This update was supposed to be about the Ogilvy trip to Nando's on Friday, but over the weekend I went somewhere which needed some truth-telling about.

Last Friday night, my friends and I made a trip to Shan-e-Mughalia which is a buffet located next to Millennium Mall on the spot of the former Drive-In cinema. It’s a nice sprawling space- very roomy- and there is a weirdo holding a nasty spear at the door greeting you. It all sets you up for an interesting dining experience. Or so you would think!

Believe me, there are not words to describe the horror that is the food of Shan-e-Mughalia, the name IS an overstatement. None of the meat was properly cooked through, PERIOD. They had even managed to undercook the quail!

Overall, the food was completely devoid of any flavor; you could have closed your eyes and eaten daal thinking it was biryani and never have known the difference- and you still would have hated it thoroughly. I struggled to finish any dish I had tried, even the barbecue, much to my horror of wasting food. It was not just me who felt this way; my friend Farheen gave up on the entire feeding ritual after the ghastly pasta which was the first and last dish she attempted. I sympathize with her, I had just one nibble from her plate and can swear it tasted like the dough mum used to make for roti. It was awful.

They had no tea in the tea dispenser for the entire time we were there, leaving us only one consumable item for after dinner- the Walls ice cream- which one had to fight tooth and nail just to get a skimpy little serving of.

Overall, it was the most terrible experience I have ever had, which is an opinion that was unanimously shared by my KU posse. It was a complete waste of 700 rupees, thoroughly unsatisfactory. Everyone I talked to before the “food of the apocalypse” had warned me to stay away, even Ali who warned us and went along anyway out of the goodness of his heart. Although he deserves to give us all an “I told you so,” he didn’t.
But he did tell us so!

1 comment:

  1. munarsh is a one stop i.t. shop for all your information technology requirements contact us 0312-2011173, for further info email marketing@munarsh.com

    web site:
    www.munarsh.com
    fanpage:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Munarsh-IT-Service/140044502748067

    ReplyDelete